Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Core Values

There are a set of values each person lives by whether consciously or unconsciously that reflects what kind of employee they will become and the work they will do. As my own brand, I have six core values that I uphold myself to on a consistent basis. “Brand building starts with a clear set of rules – a brand must define its positioning (where it sits in the market) and offer a clear proposition (how it presents itself) to its audience. This is supported by brand values that form the backbone of the character and behavior of the brand” (Page 73). With my values to live and work by, I strive to live authentically to myself as well as those I represent. Which leads to my first value…

Authenticity. There are so many people in the industry that want to tell you what they think you might want to hear. They are commonly referred to as “yes men”. That is not the kind of employee I want to be nor should I expect to be. I have a voice and sometimes my opinion will not match my employers, but it can be rest assured that I will always strive to bring out the best in the company I work for. "People are committed to a company when they identify with and believe in its values – values reflect a company’s culture and the way it treats its employees" (Page 116). Living authentically means being honest to yourself and I will not compromise who I am in order to fit some status quo the industry deems acceptable.

My second and third core values work hand in hand. In order to give and receive respect, there needs to be open lines of communication. I value the ability to speak open and honestly about issues in the work place. There should never be a culture of secrecy within the company because everyone is working together to create a thriving business in a competitive industry. As my own brand, I look to operate in the same way- I choose to earn people’s respect by openly and honestly communicating my ideas to provide the best solution to a task.

Having a strong work ethic while maintaining a positive attitude is integral to creating successful ventures for myself as well as my employer. There are some in this world that are born into powerful families and in effect can do very little and gain a lot, the other 99%, in which I certainly fall into, must work diligently in order to achieve success. My parents showed me what it meant to work hard and provide for our family and I chose to do the same in order to make a career for myself. Yes, a person can get far if they work without ceasing but a person with a positive attitude can get even farther! I believe it is necessary for a person to maintain a positive attitude in life and most certainly in the workplace. There is enough negativity out there trying to oppress the average person. People respond to the light that shines within a person and I hope to shine that light in my industry.

This last value is something that seems to get lost in competitive industries, especially because everyone wants to look out for number one, themselves. Loyalty can encompass many aspects in life from loyalty to friends to loyalty to employers. "Good design happens when teams work well together, including having an excellent relationship with the client" (Page 188). It is about not forgetting who has helped you along the way and maintaining a network of people who can rely on each other to get tasks done. As my own brand, I expect to achieve great things in my career, but I hope to always maintain a humility which allows me to never forget where I came from. “If we are buying into brand values, then we are responding to the way the brand speaks to us – how it projects itself and how it behaves. This is a deeper sense of the brand than that of its product or service” (Page 106).  My brand will ultimately speak authentically, always with a positive attitude and respect for those around me by upholding a strong work ethic, open and honest communication, and loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment