Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Talents

This is honestly the hardest list to produce. I can say I have many positive attributes and qualities but talents…that’s a little harder to identify. I wish I could say I can spin twelve plates on my head all while juggling bowling pins, but alas, my talents are a bit more mundane.

I have been recognized as a creative writer from an early age. I remember being chosen in third grade to go up in front of the class to read aloud my Halloween story and with pride, I (hopefully) gave all my classmates a little chill up their spine. This has been a reoccurring theme throughout school. I would be chosen for writing contests, classmates would ask for help in their assignments, and teachers/professors would choose my assignments to read aloud to the class. I use my writing as a way to connect to people I could not otherwise effectively communicate to, people across the globe and in my own neighborhoods through the power of social media and blogging. My writing “encompasses both the visual and tangible elements of the brand, as well as the emotional and intangible pieces that create a connection between the brand and the consumer” (Page 12). It speaks to who am I am and how I want the world to perceive me.

I suppose another talent I’ve cultivated since childhood is my musical ability. I was extremely shy as a child so I decide to play an instrument to meet other kids in my class. I chose the viola and thus started my ascent into geekdom. I’m kidding, I loved it. It unleashed in me another powerful means of communication much like my writing. I realized early on people responded to the music I played in a (mostly) positive way and that gave me confidence. I practiced diligently and eventually became lead chair in not only my classes but in youth city wide orchestras as well. My musical talent lent itself to other attributes I’ve found in myself such as dedication, strong work ethic, and an appreciation for all arts.

As I grew to become more confident in my abilities, I discovered I had valuable opinions and was able to convey that through public speaking. I can speak confidently about subjects because I thoroughly research what I speak about and engage the audience. My ability to speak publicly affords me the talent of persuasion. People have told me I have a way of making people see my side of things and I consider it a talent. For my personal brand, this is invaluable. “Making sure consumers can see clear differences between brands is an easy way to develop a clear ‘offer’ or ‘unique selling point’ (USP) that it otherwise might not have” (Page 160). To be clear, this is not manipulation, I do not use untruthful tactics to persuade someone. I simply engage the person with emotional appeal and concrete facts.

Some other talents I have been told I possess are the ability to style clothing well. This is completely subjective, but nonetheless, I count it as a talent. I also listen well to others. This is quickly becoming a long lost ability as people today have much to say and no time to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment